Thursday, July 22, 2010

DEAR REFLUX...YOU SUCK!!!

I know this blog has been about Arianna but it has truely become a place for me to come and put my thoughts down.

As you can tell from my title...we are dealing with reflux and IT SUCKS!!!

As I'm typing this Devin is SCREAMING his head off in the living room. Feeding has now become a challenge. He will start to eat and then he refluxes and arches his back, cries and then refuses to eat. Of course that just leaves him hungry so he is miserable.

On a positive note, we have started him on ranitidine (Zantac) for his reflux. We are giving it till Monday to see if it helps. If not then we will put him on Prilosec. I'm so relieved to finally be able to give him something.

I'm just completely overwhelmed with emotions when I can't calm my poor baby down and know he is in pain. I dealt with a little reflux (nasal regurgitation) with Arianna but it was nothing like this.

I did talk to the pediatrician today and the x-ray results were in and they said he has viral pneumonia. His peditrician doesn't believe that and says if it was the case he would be having fevers, which he is not. Which brings me to our lately diagnosis for Devin....Pectus Excavatum.

Pectus Excavatum is a depression or hollow caused when the sternum (breastbone) is abnormally pushed inward. The depression in the chest is due to abnormal growth of the cartilage that attaches the sternum to the ribs. This condition can give an inaccurate diagnosis of lung infections on x-ray....OR...he is possibly aspirating and we need to figure out which one it is.

We are going next Tuesday to see the pulmonologist. Nice thing is we already have wonderful doctors that have taken care of Arianna so we are going to see the same doctors for Devin. We are waiting for the hospital to call and schedule his upper GI test and appointment to see the GI doctor.

Well I have to get off now but I wanted to write a few things down while I had the chance. Thanks for checking on us.

2 comments:

The Portas said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry about your reflux woes. Really, I'm in the throes of screaming (for gas) and I truly understand your frustration. It is so tough to see your baby in discomfort and to not be able to do anything about it. This, too, shall pass (what I keep telling myself...I know, easier said than done). Hang in there, Mama!!

Amyacl said...

Oh, poor little guy - it's so hard to see your little one uncomfortable. I hope the medicine starts working fast so you will all feel better.