Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ortho appointment today

First of all...it's 1:40 am so if this post doesn't make sense...sorry

Today we went to Arianna's orthopedic appointment.

First we did the x-ray and then played Candyland for about 10 minutes before the doctor came in.

He looked her over and said he can barely tell by looking at her that she has a curve. He seemed very laid back.

Then he tells me she hasn't changed and still has an 18 degree curve. I quickly reminded him that her curve was only 10 degrees 6 months ago. Man this doctor irritates me!!!

At this point she is in no risk but if she gets over 20 degrees he wants to put her in a brace. :( At this rate he expects her to be over 20 degrees in about year.

He mentioned it's possible she won't get worse but didn't sound very sure about that.

Then the Hanger guy came in and checked on her orthotic inserts and her feet and said they look perfect!

For now we enjoy the next 6 months and will worry about the brace at our next appointment.

Sorry for being so short and to the point...I'm exhausted and have to be up early for feeding therapy. Speaking of which, Arianna finally weighs 26 pounds!!! We have been working on that for 6 months. :) Her height is 36 inches, which is a 3 inch growth over the past few months. I'm so proud of her growth!

Okay....good night~

7 comments:

jencooper said...

Way to go Ari!! Great job at the weight gain.

Hang in there. Craig has severe scoliosis - so much that he has a steel rod in his back. They will start checking our kids very early to monitor them.

Glad that the braces are still good!!

<3,
Jennifer

Wendy said...

Hi Vanessa!

I can totally relate to your ortho visit, and I'd be sad, too, if Emma needed to start wearing a brace. I guess that's a bridge we'll cross when we come to it. I think the scoliosis must be a common thing with chromo disorder kids.

I'm sorry to hear about her cavity. :( That's no fun. Don't blame it on yourself. You should see Emma's black teeth. It upsets me every time I see them. They are so stained from vomiting episodes and her not letting me brush them. So far no cavities, though, but I know she'll have to be put under again to have them cleaned next year. I think Arianna must understand a whole lot more than Emma...I wish I had some advice for you! I've always wondered what we would do if we had to explain things....UGH!!! Scary!

It's great to hear that Arianna is growing and doing well, though! She looks so big in her pictures....like a little lady! :)

Take care and let us know how the dentist thing works out. I'll be keeping your beautiful girl in my prayers.

Lots of Love,

Wendy (& Emma, too!)

SUE AND SHAY said...

Vanessa,

Don't be too worried about the degree of the curve changing it is also in the way they measure our ortho says all the time the measurements are within 5-10 degrees so it may not have changed at all. Also when Shay's curve was discovered she was at 27 degree and the doctor still had us wait for 3 months to see if the curve was going to change before he would brace. The last time we were in he said that even with Shay now at a 35-38 degree curve he would not brace if he knew that it would stay the same. He said that a curve does not really become a "problem" until it is 50-60 degree. The long and short of it is try not to worry enjoy Ari and do not worry about what if because the worst thing that will happen at this point and time is a brace and Shay is doing wonderful in it she can do anything everyone else is doing and she lets everyone know that also. Take Care, Sue

Tina:0) said...

WooHoo! Such a big girl!! Way to go, Ari!! (& Momma, too;0)

Great news that her orthotics are fitting so well... we just had Vaeh casted this morning for her's.

Give that precious little girl hugs from us! Praying for straightening & not an increase in the curve!!

The Portas said...

Wow, that growth is great!!

Taking things one appointment at a time is a great thing to do. I think that's a motto all us heart moms should have hanging on our refrigerators. :)

We will pray for her curve not to get any worse...no, we'll pray for it to improve!

Have a great weekend! Get some rest! xo

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! It's so nice to know we have so many people praying for my little girl.

Anderson Family said...

Some doctors are so stupid. I wonder what kids would do without overly active parents that are so invovled. Ari's so lucky to have you!