Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Visit to the doctors office

We took Arianna this afternoon to get her varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. I was really nervous about it so Robert went with me. Thanks honey! Arianna was already cranky on the way to the doctors because she is working on getting another tooth, so I knew she would be a mess after the shot. She cried and wasn't very happy when she had to go back in her carseat. We stopped and got her some french fries and a shake but she was only into eating 2 french fries then fell asleep. She is sleeping right now and I'm constantly checking on her. They said to keep an eye out for any fevers or rash, which can be anytime up to a month after vaccination...WOW...thats a long time to look for side effects. I guess it just takes a long time for the immune system to react to the vaccine. I'm still very anxious even though everyone tells me I shouldn't be. I have cried more today than I have in awhile, which I'm trying to understand why. I know I should be jumping up and down with excitement that Arianna was able to get these vaccines but I'm just more nervous than anything. I keep getting nervous that she is taking such a long nap, her breathing is shallow, etc. What is my problem?!?!?! Why can't I just enjoy life and not worry about all these things!!! Even the nurse giving the shot kept reassuring me that Arianna has good t-cell function and I should really try to find peace with that. It's hard because we're not just dealing with her immune system but her lungs and I know right now her lungs need to heal. No, I don't want to keep her in a bubble, but I also don't want to have her in the hospital every month. Everyone comments on how well she is doing and that is contributed to her being home most of the time. It's like people don't get it sometimes. They think just because she is doing well at home she would do well out in public. I get her out from time to time. We go to the pet store, Target, walgreens, families houses, restruants (okay only a few times), but I'm just not comfortable taking her everywhere. Why do I still feel so different? Why does my heart ache so much for my little girl? Why am I sitting here crying, when I should be happy that Arianna IS doing so well. I don't expect any of you to answer these questions I guess for once I felt like I need to get my true feelings out.

9 comments:

Krista said...

Oh I wish I could just give you a hug...I think at times that's all we need...just a chance to vent and a good hug (some ice cream always helps)

I'm sorry you're having such a hard day...it's scary to think about Arianna living a "normal" life...when you've been so awesomingly sheltering with her. She IS doing so well...because you have done such a great job as a mommy!

Love you friend...

Tina:0) said...

You feel different because you've had to - you're a Mommy! You're doing what Mommies do... please don't apologize for that!! These feelings are all normal, even with "normal kids," just a little more intensified with our special heart kiddos!

You've been there for me so many times, so please let me be there for you! Feel free to phone me anytime! (Just remember that I'm 3 hours behind you, time wise! lol) I'll email you my phone number, so please don't be afraid to use it!

You are doing such a great job caring for Arianna, so don't feel any differently!! Don't get so down because you are a GREAT mommy!

Big Hugs!
Luv ya, girl!!

Unknown said...

Thank you girls! I knew you would understand. It helps so much having you all for support.

Love you all!

The Portas said...

Your heart aches because you want the best for your little girl. You want to protect her from harm. You are an awesome mommy!

I think the fact that you've taken her out in public, even in small doses, and that she is still doing so well says A LOT. The fact that she was able to get that live vaccine says A LOT. She is a really strong little girl.

Everything will be just fine with the vaccine. I know it's hard to put worries aside, but try not to overthink things. She will be just fine and thank GOD she was is healthy enough to have gotten it!

Have a great weekend. Enjoy your little punkin and give her some smooches for me! HUGS to you, too! I hope you're feeling better. xoxoxo

Samantha said...

Vanessa...I am the same way...it is very hard...we are moms and we want our babies to be safe, healthy and happy all the time. You are not alone. Great big hugs my friend!

Love ya,
Samantha

mina said...

Hang in there, Vanessa,
You obviously want the best for Arianna, I think you are balancing things as well as possible, trying not to expose her to too many risks, while giving her as much of an experience with 'normalcy' as you can. I commend you! Sending you an extra hug today!

Amyacl said...

When things are going well, it's so scary to make a change and give up some control, but I know things will work out fine and it will be for the best. I am sure that lots of fun things await you this summer - hang in there!

Tina:0) said...

Hey, just checking back in & wanted to say...

Congratulations - you've received a blogging award! (check out Vaeh's blog for the details!)

Kathy said...

How's Arianna doing since the shots??

just checking on you guys!

Hope you had a fun weekend..because, we NEED to see new pics!

love,
Kathy