Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Telling Arianna about her Heart Surgery

I felt like the perfect moment arouse so I told Arianna about her upcoming heart surgery. We sat her down and I told her what the MRI results were. She completely understood what I was saying. I told her the pressures in her heart were too high. She then told me, "That's not good." I've already told her she would need a valve to correct that problem so when I re-explained that she understood. I asked if she had questions and she said no. I then asked if she wanted to read the book "Matty's Heart"I had told her about a few days ago. She said, "Yes."

 This book is about a boy who has TGA and had surgery at 10 days old. Then find out her needs another surgery when he is 4-years old. It's walks you through the feelings he is having, the tests he a needs done before surgery and then all the scary things to come after heart surgery and of course the wonderful things to look forward to after recovery. Even though its a little outdates its a wonderful tool for kids facing surgery.

She was happy to see other kids doing the same tests she has done but she got scared when we looked at pictures after surgery and all she has to go through. God was definitely helping me keep it together because I answered all her questions without crying even when I could see the tears and fear swelling up in her eyes.

After we read the book I asked her if she had any questions and she said, "No. I'm just scared." I told her it was okay to be scared and if she wanted to cry it was okay. She told me several times that she is so brave and wants to be brave for this. I know she will be but open-heart surgery is scary for anyone and add the fact that she is just a 5-year old it is alot to take in.

Then she climbed on my lap and cried and cried and cried. Of course I cried with her a little. I was so worried about letting her see me cry but I know that she needs to see this affects me too. I told her its okay to cry and mommy's heart hurts too for what she has to go through. Then I reassured her that everything was going to good. Reminded her she has already been through one heart surgery and she will get through this one. I told her we will be there every step of the way. Then she told me "Thank you for telling me what is going to happen to me. It's really good that we had that book to explain it to me." I know right there that I made the right choice in how to tell her. I love on her and then took her to pick up her meds and pick out some bubbles and a toy for tomorrow.

The rest of the night was okay. We had some family over for dinner and right after we said prayers she looked up and told everyone that she has to have some tubes put in her in a few weeks. As you can see that is the thing that is scaring her. I didnt want to stop her from expressing herself so I helped her verbalize that she is going to have heart surgery and have alot of tubes and IV's put in her body. She was so proud when she said it! I know God is going to build her strength and my strength over the next 3 weeks. She then asked if they would all be there and of course we said yes!

3 comments:

Christina said...


What a brave little girl. Not so sure she'll have tubes for a few weeks, like she said... Sofia was ready to be discharged after only 4 days. Different heart surgery, I know, but perhaps it won't be as long as she is thinking in her head. So proud of the both of you.

marie said...

SO Brave and so wise, Hmmm alot like her mama! <3

marie said...

8