Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We're Home!

I can't believe it....we're already home! We've been home for almost 2 hours. Everything went really well today. We got to the hospital around 12:15pm and they took us back about 1pm. We spent 20 minutes just talking to the anesthesiologist, pulmonologist, and nurses. They were trying to coordinate the blood draw at the same time so that is what took the longest. Since we already know this is a special test, we were just hoping the hospital would get it right so we wouldn't have to deal with Lab Corp again. It was kind of cool because the pulmonologist is married to our immunologist. The pulmo got on the phone with her husband and made sure were were doing the right tests and see if he could come pick up the blood to personally deliver it to the courier by 2pm. They ended up getting the wrong vile and we almost missed the dead line for the courier....but thankfully they drew Arianna's blood again while she was having the CT done. So thank goodness...no Lab Corp for awhile!

I had the chance to explain to the anesthesiologist about Arianna's last experience with Versed. He was very hesitant about using it and decided to just use the gas instead. I told him we had the CT's to follow so he went down to the CT lab and explained the situation with the radiologists. I asked him about intubation and he said as long as she stays asleep and her numbers look good then he won't intubate. I was SO happy to hear this. He went on to explain that he is a pediatrician as well and is very familiar with DiGeorge Syndrome. I can't tell you what a huge relief that was to hear.

I felt very confident in the group of people that were going to care for Arianna. I have to say I was less nervous this time than any other time we have taken Arianna in for tests. I know that God placed the right people in our path today so we could have peace about this procedure. Don't every underestimate the power of prayer. This morning I was praying for peace and we were all definitely at peace with everything.

The pulmonologist came out after the bronchoscopy and explained what she saw: normal airways; normal secretions; some lumpy bumpies (yes...that is what she said) in her right (I think..now I'm not sure if it was the right) lung, which we don't know what that is from. One thing she found very interesting was that her nasal passage down to her throat were red and irritated. Arianna doesn't have a runny nose or cough so this is a little confusing. She said this is sometimes a sign of aspiration but Arianna has already had a full GI workup which didn't show aspiration. So at this point were waiting for the samples she took and for the CT's to be dictated. I should hear something either the end of this week or beginning of next week.

About 20 minutes later they called us back to see Arianna and she was still sleeping. We talked to the anesthesiologist and they said they didn't have to intubate her and instead of using Versed they used Propofal. This is a shorter lasting medication and has less side effects. She woke up really groggy and they discharged us right away. So far she has done really well. She kept her juice and milk down so I gave her a bowl of spaghetti. She is so hungry and already asking for more food so I'm cooking sausage. She is finally able to walk without falling down every few steps. We're just planning on hanging out and enjoying our evening together as a family! It's Tueday night so we'll be watching The Biggest Loser...the only show I look forward to watching!


Here are some once we got home. I forgot to take my camera to the hospital so this is all I could get. She was SO buzzed in the first picture.




6 comments:

jencooper said...

I am so happy to hear that things went well today!! Hooray! Arianna is such a cutie as usual!

<3,
Jennifer

Tina:0) said...

Yeah!! I'm so glad that everything went well, and that you had docs that made you feel comfortable. That is a very important thing! Nice that they were able to give her something that didn't have the side effects that versed. I'm actually watching the Biggest Loser right now! Enjoy - its a great show tonight!
Big Hugs,

Tina, Gabby & Vaeh:0)

Kathy said...

Good JOB Arianna....and Vanessa!!
Glad you got it ALL taken care of in one swoop!
Can't wait to hear what the results show.
Sleep well toinght...you've earned it!

mina said...

Vanessa,
I'm so glad Arianna's tests went so well, and that you have those blood tests out of the way too. And wow, she woke up with quite an appetite! I hope the results of the samples don't show any problems, and that Arianna can get a break from all those tests, at least for a while!

The Portas said...

Arianna is just the cutest!

I'm sooo so glad the tests went well! You know, today as we were preparing to come to the hospital I said the SAME prayer....Please God, please let us have good nurses and doctors today...because this always makes a WORLD of difference in how things go. What do you know, we've had amazing care! Prayers ARE answered. I'm so glad your prayers were answered, too!

I hope you are all feeling well and getting some rest. Hugs to you all. xoxoxoox

Anonymous said...

She is a lovely, lovely little girl.

Congratulations on making it through all of that! There is nothing like coming through to the other side :)

I hope you don't mind me stopping by - I found your blog through The Portas and have a heart child myself. I also have a daughter with Down syndrome, so we have heart conditions and chromosmal anomalies in common.

Nice to "meet" you :)