Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Church

I told everyone I would blog about our Sunday church experience so I will.

The morning worship went very well. I took Arianna back to her class once she started crying. I think the loud music and people were over stimulating for her. Poor baby just isn't used to all of that. I wish I could say I had an enjoyable time in the class but I did not. There were about 5 other kids (perfect number of kids for Arianna) mostly around age 1 with the exception of 1 little boy probably Arianna's age.

I guess it started when I noticed all the kids drinking from each others cups and sharing snacks. The teachers started asking each other whose cup was whose. Finally after I told them my daughters conditions they labeled the cups with a piece of tape. Then a little 1 year old fell off a chair and hit the back of her head. Okay, I know kids will be kids but she was way to young to be sitting in this type of chair alone, but what really got me was the fact that they didn't fill out an incident report. Then about 10 minutes later the little girl fell again because she was in the same chair. Then the little girl sitting by me almost fell but I caught her by the side of her head. I just felt like I couldn't trust my daughter to be left in their care.

Another thing that bothered me was the fact that no lesson was done. I know they are young but if you put birth-to-3 years together you need to do a small lesson for the older kids. I quite 5 minute lesson plan with some coloring or something. Basically it was like a daycare and that is not why I'm taking Arianna to church. I only stayed for about 20 minutes and then we just left.

It stinks cause I really like my church and they have such a small class size it would be perfect for Arianna. I don't plan on taking her back there and not sure if I want to try to venture out and look for another church. Guess it's back to going to church every other week while Robert watches Arianna at home.

I've decided to start doing bible time at home. My mom used to be a kindergarten teacher and also taught the children at church. She is going to help me get some christian bible lessons for toddlers at the bible book store so I can teach Arianna all about the bible myself. :)

6 comments:

Tina:0) said...

Ugh... I know what you mean about people in sunday school classes not really paying attention. In the nursery at our church they don't wash hands between diaper changes, nor do they wear gloves...ewe!!! So, Vaeh goes after Mommy has changed her ;0)

I hope that your home lessons go well & that you find somewhere where you can go as a family!

Give her big hugs from us!

The Portas said...

That's too bad. I'm glad you hung around to see what the care was like before leaving. It's always good to get a feel first. Bummer! So sorry for that disappointment for you. Good luck with the at-home Bible lessons. We try to do that, too, and it's fun. xo

Kathy said...

Sorry you had such a horrible experience.
I will NEVER let Isaac go to sunday school...all those snotty nose kids....gives me heeby geedies!
(did I spell that right)

You'll be a great teacher...

Unknown said...

At least I know I'm not alone in this. Thanks guys!

Wendy said...

Hi Vanessa,

Sorry to hear about Arianna's nursery experience! It's good that you stuck around to see how things would go... It's a delicate situation with our special kiddos, and I think Bible lessons at home are a great idea. Arianna's blessed to have such a loving and concerned mommy! Give that precious girl a big hug from us!

Lots of Love,

Wendy (& Emma, too!)

Anderson Family said...

I'm sorry that it was not was you expected. Chairs? Ha! Kira would be standing on it. You guys are always welcome to come with us. I love the nursery Kira goes to. She loves dancing to the songs and "coloring" her picture. A few more kids, but about 4-5 adults.
But you have to stand your ground. They shouldn't be sharing cups and chairs are stupid, unless someone's sitting in arms length making sure they're actually sitting.
Home lessons are a great idea. We give Kira the lesson she'll get the upcoming Sunday so she's seen it all before and can get more into it.
Keep trying.