Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Talked to pediatrician

I spoke with the pediatrician today and these are her exactly words, "Arianna will always be a mystery." She honestly said she is not completely familiar with Arianna's cardiac structure but feels reassured that the cardiologist didn't do anything when I told him about her eyes at our appointment back in August. Arianna's eye were better today so I wasn't as concerned but I wanted to talk to the pedi anyways. A few of you asked if Arianna is on any medication and she is not. The doctor said to call if she is having a decreased urine output or the eyes get worse.

Yesterday we visited with our occupational therapist and one thing I asked her was if Arianna would benefit from a medication called Periactin. This medication is used sometimes to help stimulate a person's appetite. The OT thought it might be beneficial but wanted me to talk with the pediatrician. So I asked her about this today and she felt it wasn't something Arianna needed. Arianna is not underweight, just on the smaller side. She doesn't eat well but she does eat when she wants. I'm perfectly fine with that because I've heard this medication can have cardiac side effects and I really didn't' want to worry about that.

So.....we don't see the pediatrician till December for Arianna's well-child checkup. :)

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Well...well...what will you do with all of that time???

I'm glad that all is good in Arianna's world!!!

YEAH!!!

love,
kathy

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Periactin works great..

Matthew started taking about 5 weeks ago and it is really helping...

The Portas said...

It's so GOOD to get reassurance from your doctor. Yay, a good chunk of time with no doctors! Great news...xoxox

Pam said...

Hi there,
I get up in the morning with puffy eyes. They go away soon after. Hope thats all that it is.
We tried periactin with Jordan when she was little but it made no difference to her. But I have had some people I know swear by it. I would say, enjoy her tiny little self. Madison was so little at that age and now today when I was carrying her I told her she was way to heavy and I had to put her down. Made me sad :-(
I hate those waste of time appointments. We have had our share of them as well. Glad to hear you can continue to check some doctors off your list.
We haven't done the flu shot thing yet. I don't quite know how to handle it with Jordan. I told her she didn't have to have any more shots until she was 11, forgetting all about the yearly flu shot thanks to her sister! Ooops guess mommies make mistakes too.
Take care,
Pam and Madison
www.caringbridge.org/visit/madison

Samantha said...

Hey...I totally forgot to email you back on the periactin. YES, Micah took it...it DID NOT work for him. All it did was make him sleep ALL day...so if he was hungry, he was too tired to eat ;) I am starting Noah on it tomorrow...I wanted to wait until he was with me 24/7 to watch him since he is on ADHD meds and I want to keep a close eye on his reaction. Anyway, like I said, it did not work on Micah, and our GI doctor said it normally does not work on those that they need it to work on...go figure :)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Much love,
Samantha