Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We got the orthotic inserts!

This is what Arianna got today!

I have no idea what type they are but these are suppose to help her ankle pronation and flat feet and HOPEFULLY the knee pain. They are a hard mold that will hopefully shape her foot over time. We have to break her into them so it's an hour a day, then we add another hour, etc, etc. Arianna didn't seem to be bothered by them at all which was good. The guy from Hanger really liked her shoes so looks like we won't be getting any stylish shoes any time soon. There is just enough room for her foot and the insert and that is the most important thing.

If these don't help the knee pain then I have no idea what we'll do. She was complaining about her knees all day today which breaks my heart. Ibuprofen is a regular in our household now.

On another subject, we have put Arianna's bed back in our room because she is still sleeping in our bed and it's getting rather crowded. I am happy to say she has slept in her bed all night for the past 3 nights. One day when she is ready we will try the big girl room out again but I'm in no rush. I actually sleep better with her in our room. :)

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot this. We took Arianna to eat at Quizno's after we got her orthotics today. This was the first time since October we ate out somewhere. Okay, it's not a fancy restaurant but it felt SO good to be doing something normal and outside the house as a family. I was completely paranoid the entire time but it was still nice. She is not eating very well so only ate cheetos.

Then we came home and had our OT come over and work on some eating with Arianna. She is not eating very good at all lately but of course she ate like a champ for Janet. Agh..this girl made me look like a lier. Our OT gave us some really cool cookbooks for preschoolers that we can borrow. The authors are Mollie Katzen and Ann Henderson. The two books we have are "Pretend Soup" and "Salad People." It is so cute cause it gives you the recipe and tips for grown ups and then goes through a step by step pictorial for the kids to follow along. Our hopes are that Arianna will enjoy the preparing of food and want to eat more. She also thought it would be cute if we got aprons and hats so she knows its time to cook THEN EAT when we pull them out. You will not see any pictures of me in those hats so you can stop thinking about it. :)

That's about it for tonight. I have more to share tomorrow.

7 comments:

Mami Adame said...

Hope the orthotic inserts make a huge difference for her pains.
You know you HAVE to post a pic of you in your little chef outfit!

Tina:0) said...

Those orthotics should help immensley! If they're getting too tight in her shoes, try taking the insert of the shoe out (the lining in the bottom) it should give her a little more room in the shoe - always worked for me!

Hopefully she starts eating a little better. Try Resee's peanut butter cups! Vaeh loves 'em!

Give her big hugs for us:0)

Andrea said...

Those look like the ones Drew has! We are actually going tomorrow to have him re-evaluated and measured again. I hope they help with the knee pain!

mina said...

I hope the inserts help with the knees.

Toddlers go through phases with eating, hopefully it will pick up again soon. Yay for eating out!

Anderson Family said...

They always make you look like a liar in front of the OT!
I'm so glad that you got to do something "normal".
I, too, want a picture of you in a chef hat and apron! It's for Arianna (and our amusement).

The Portas said...

I know what you mean about feeling normal while doing things like eating out, etc. I love it, too!

I hope hope hope the inserts do the trick. No more knee pain!! We will pray!

What a great idea for a cookbook. I'm excited to hear how it goes!

Unknown said...

Hope the Orthotics work great.
Glad you got a chance to get out and eat, I know exactly what you mean about being normal.
I hope she gets to eating a little better.
Have a good weekend!