Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Good news!

We went to see Arianna's orthopedist first this afternoon and he was surprised to see her back so soon. I gave him the run down of what's been going on and within a minute we had like 5 people in our room plus 4 more standing outside the doorway. He was twisting her legs in all these positions that looked really painful but she didn't even care. He made comments about how weird her legs were and that bothered me. He could of kept those comments to himself. He keep going on and on about it telling everyone how weird it is that she bends like this, etc, etc. I wanted to tell him to shut up....but I didn't.

His verdict is that she only needs inserts for her shoes to help with the pronation and flat feet. He believes the knee pain is coming from all these things combined. The x-rays of her knees looked good, but I won't believe that until I get the report myself which I forgot to get today. Darn it! The man from Hanger came in and talked to us quickly and said her inserts will be ready in a few days. :) Hopefully this will give her some relief.

Then the orthopedist said something that really upset me. He was looking at Arianna and said, "She definitely will need surgery of some kind I'm just not sure what kind though." I asked what he meant. Was it because of her scoliosis because I know that is a possibility but later down the road. He said "No, for either her back or knees but I'm not sure which." He then said her knee exam looks normal. Okay...isn't that a little contradicting? I don't know what to think. I guess I'll be getting his report as well to see if he comments more about this in his report.

After that appointment we went upstairs to see Arianna's primary care doctor. I explained what was said at the ortho appointment and she was also confused about the surgery comment. She is going to look over the report when it's transcribed to see if there is something else going on he is not telling us.

The blood work came back.....NORMAL!!!! I am so excited! Her bone marrow is producing red blood cells, no rheumatoid arthritis, no anemia. What a wonderful way to end our afternoon at the doctors.

7 comments:

The Portas said...

That is an awesome report! A big YAY for Arianna (and mama, too)! His comment was quite strange. Why would a doctor EVER say something vague like that to a parent, especially when the topic is SURGERY?! Ugh, that is maddening. And then to repeat how "weird" her legs are? Ugh again. I think he skipped the class called Communicating With Patients.

Despite that, though, the news was great, and you were even able to rule a few yucky things out. Go Arianna!!! HAve a good day, you guys. xo

Tina:0) said...

I wouldn't read too much into the ortho's comment... they're a strange breed. I worked with some for 10 years, & they're always making off the wall comments - I think its a surgeon thing! (LoL) I would just let the orthotics work their magic. It could just be an alignment thing & the inserts will take care of it!

What wonderful news about the blood work!! Good news is a great way to end the day!

Hugs to Arianna from Vaeh (& all of us:0) )

Anderson Family said...

Don't worry too much about it yet. If he does want to do surgery, get a second opinion. Sometimes these doctors don't think...words like srugery are scary to parents. Hopefully insoles help with the pain.

Let's celebrate the good blood report!!!

mina said...

Odd comments from the ortho, but great news about the blood work. Yay!

Amyacl said...

What a busy day! So glad to hear that the blood work was normal - YAY! How nice not to have to worry about RA!

Kathy said...

what a stinky doc! Glad her xrays came out ok. You know...maybe it's just the unknown digeorge aches. Do they ache because they are so flexible. Isaac will FOR SURE be in for some pain if that's the case. He can sit up straight, and put his foot in his mouth, without bending his knees! He does this in public and people look at ME like I'm the crazy one!

Maybe the inserts will do the trick.

Mami Adame said...

I know its hard to ignore some Dr's but seriously what kind of comments were those?? Even though they have an education- some (minority) are lame!
Glad she is doing well!