Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cardiology Appointment

First of all, I know this background is pretty bright but I let Arianna pick it out. This is her blog so I wanted her to have on here what she wanted. I'll probably have to change it soon cause the hot pink is going to kill my eyes. LOL!
For not being a morning person I sure did have a good morning. I was up at 5:45am, got a little work done, got showered and ready then woke Arianna up around 7:30 to get ready for her cardiology appointment.
I was a little picture happy today so you get lots of pictures in this post. :)
(Unfortunately you will see her silly forced smile in all these pictures...what a nut)
Arianna always has to check out the fish before we go back into the cardiology clinic.
Waiting for our doctor to come in and yes I lysoled every toy before she played with them.

I'm really wanting to get pictures with all the people that have taken care of Arianna. I was sad to see our favorite nurse Gab was no longer at the clinic.
This is Lori the social worker. Arianna has always loved this lady. She comes into every appointment to say hi.


Dr. Klewer taking a listen to Ari's heart.

She even lifts her shirt for him. He thought that was too cute!


Finally...a picture with the best cardiologist ever!



On exam she sounded good but he wanted to get a quick pep at her heart so we had a very quick echo done. As you can see she cried through the entire thing. We'll have to start working on practice echos at home.

So her right ventricle only went up to 22 mm dilated, which is only a 1 cm increase. YAY! She has the tricuspid regurgitation still and because of that they are able to estimate the right ventricle pressures to be around 28 mmHg, which is pretty good. I asked what the magic number would be as far as pressures go till we would know she needed surgery. He said the echo cannot give us exact right ventricle pressures so we would have to do a cardiac MRI to know that....but not for a LONG time! Before he has mentioned possibly doing that around 7-8 years old. He said if Arianna gets to the age where she can sit still for 1-1/2 hours in a MRI machine we could do that but he's thinking more around 9 years old. Of course that is if she contines to do well and no significant changes happen before that time. So we PRAY nothing changes.
I did ask about EKG's and he said he normally does check ups every 6 months and alternates between "checking the plumbing and checking the electrical system." Love how simply he puts that. So next time she will have an EKG done to see how she is doing there. Because she had the VSD patched she has what's called, right bundle branch block. This can cause arrythmia problems as she gets older. I've known of a 19 year old boy with TOF who died because he had arrythmias that were not detected. This is why it's so critical for people born with CHDs to continue cardiology followup once they get out of pediatric care.
On a side note, I mentioned to him about the pulmonary edema the pulmonologist said she had. Well....our cardiologist thinks that is incorrect. He said he has reviewed Arianna's x-rays himself and does not believe that is the case. I told him how the pulmonologist is always asking when the next heart surgery is scheduled and he didn't seem to like that very well. So...what am I to do now? Should I call the pulmonologist and tell him what our cardiologist said??? I'll have to do some thinking about this but when it comes to those lungs I believe they will heal over time. I have prayed and prayed and prayed over this and I will not longer let it worry me anymore. She is a blessed child of God and I will not allow myself to get caught up in all this anymore. We will continue to stay secluded at home for the rest of the winter and when summer comes....WATCH OUT WORLD HERE WE COME!!!

So after our appointment we went outside to enjoy the nice patio for a few minutes. Here is a picture of Arianna loving on her Grams. I just LOVE this picture and she sure LOVES her Grams!


Here she is giving her silly smile again.



Then on the way home we stopped at Burger King to get some lunch. I know not very healthy but she loves their french fries. These are the cutest little (well not so little) glasses that came in her kids meal.

So I sit here at home feeling extremely blessed. I have the most precious child that is happy and healthy....what else could I ask for. :)

9 comments:

Kathy said...

How awesome...
can you even imagine...not having to worry about her heart for YEARS~! Whatever will you do with all that time???

I am so happy for you guys!!!
Enjoy this beautiful weather!!!

Anderson Family said...

Yeah, Ari! And although I'm not a pink person, I love her choice.

I still can't believe you let her touch the toys. Kira will never be that lucky.

So with all this good news are you going to relax? Enjoy a relatively heathy BIG girl!!!

Amyacl said...

So, so glad to hear such good news! Hooray! Keep up the good work, Arianna!

SUE AND SHAY said...

Great news!!

So happy to hear the appointment went well. Sorry you didn't like the echo, I tell you Vanessa try the practice ones next time a few days before. It sure takes away from the stress of Shay freaking out. Hope you have a wonderful day!!

mina said...

What an awesome cards report! Looks like Arianna did very well too. Now it's not easy for a 2 year old to sit through a detailed echo!

And I love the cheesy smile. We're having the opposite problem, I can't even get Bilal to look at the camera, let alone smile most of the time.

Thanks for sharing the pics. And summer isn't too far away!

Tina:0) said...

She is getting soooo big!! Yay for a good cardiology visit. Isn't it funny how card. & pulmo. argue over what's what?! Too funny!

I'm jealous of how you guys get to go every 6 months... someday we'll be there with ya!

Keep speaking such postive things over her. All we have to do is ask & we "shall receive".

The Portas said...

I love the worry-free-ness! You are right...Arianna is blessed, and God is taking VERY good care of her. Cast out your fears..

Ok, the pics are just too cute. Her little grin is precious as ever. The glasses are great. :)

And most importantly, YAY for the good appointment! That all seems like very good news. You know, whenever Elijah gets an echo we always bring his favorite DVD and I sit him on my lap (even if I have to lay down awkwardly on the table with him laying on top of me) and he hardly ever fusses. It's my version of a sedated echo without sedation!

I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend. Lots of kisses to the pretty girl..xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Thank you guys for all the tips for the echo. I need to buy a portable DVD player. We took the Ipod which worked wonders last time but not this time. Also, this was the first time she sat down on the table without me climbing on there with her so that might of been more scary. Oh and her regular echo tech wasn't there either. These kids get used to the same people.

Mami Adame said...

I'm impressed that she lifts her top up so they can listen to her! Angelina sees the stethoscope and starts crying! And there's noway she'd sit still for an echo, she still gets sedated for them!