Thursday, May 8, 2008

WARNING - This is not a nice post

I am so upset tonight and have to fill you in on the most recent news. I received the labs today and was looking over her numbers. This is what it said:

Concanavalin A (Con A) - CD4 Activation Arianna's Results - 574 (Reference range is >136)

Lymphocyte Activation

Unstimulated CD4 - 7
Phytohemaglutinin (PHA) - CD4 Activation Results - 338 (Reference range >225)

The interpretation says:

<226 Low Immune Cell Response
226-524 Moderate Immune Cell Response
>524 Strong or high level of immune Cell Response

So I was happy to see she fell withing the moderate range. I am really clueless when it comes to the immunology part of her care and feel like I am going crazy trying to figure it out. The immunologist finally calls and goes on and on about how he hates Lab Corp and so happy we finally have the results. He said Arianna was good to get the MMR. When I asked about getting out of isolation he wouldn't give me a straight answer. He just said she is a DiGeorge kid therefor she will get sick more often if we have her around other kids. He says she has DiGeorge and there is nothing we can do about that so it's up to me where I want to take her. Well that makes me feel horrible because we've been in isolation for 13 out of the 17 months she's been alive. I don't want her to get sick, and we can't really let her get sick because we still have no idea about her lung function. He told me we just need to follow up in 1 year. I asked about her IgG levels and he said those are her B-cells and they were last checked in January and they were within range, so not to worry. He reassures me that Arianna can have the MMR vaccine and is not at any more of a risk than a normal child.

Okay...so heres where it gets ugly. When I initially looked at the lab work I noticed our old immunologist name on the record, I didn't think twice and just reviewed the results, stuck the paper in her medical book and planned on cross referencing her results to the same labs that were done last year. I finally get some time and decide to go take a look. Mind you we have an appointment tomorrow to go gether MMR vaccine. I start looking more into the fact that the wrong immunologists name is on this report, which is in all caps and righ ton the top of the page. I then look at the date and see...4/18/2007. I look down and see her age: 4 months. I realize these are the reports from last year. WTF?!?!?! I checked her levels from last year and sure enough they were exactly the same. So the stupid doctor didn't realize the wrong date and the fact that a different doctors name was on the record. I'm beginning to wonder if he even looked at the labs. I am SO PISSED!! This is the doctor I tried so hard to see last year. He is supposedly the best immunologist in AZ and to be honest we are thinking about switching back to our initial immunologist. I am just so pissed that we could have potentially given Arianna the MMR tomorrow and what would of happened then? If it wasn't for me keeping records and having NO faith in this doctor (which is a horrible feeling to have) there could of been a bad outcome. I am SO pissed and plan on keeping our pediatrician appointment to discuss everything. Mind you, we are still trying to find out what is going on with her lungs. We are to see a different pulmo for a second opinion. We still have the measeles outbreak and with all the unknowns still, we are still in isolation. UGH!!! I want to scream at someone so bad. I am overwhelmed with all of this and just wish people would get this right. I am so upset that Arianna will have to have a blood draw again and I don't feel confident that they will get it done thistime. This is the 3rd time this lab has screwed up and our hospital has screwed up 1 time as well. I feel like I'm asking for some crazy test that only MY daughter needs. I know there are other DiGeorgekids out there so why is this so difficult?!?!? Please does anyonehave advice? I feel like moving to a new city just to get doctors that actually know how to do their job.

On a good note, my Nana was discharged from the hospital and at home. She is doing well but needs to have around the clock help. Thank goodness for such a great family. So I will be spending my morning with her but it will be nice to get out the house and be with my Nana.

I am so exhausted and just wish I could sleep through tomorrow and act like everything is fine.

5 comments:

Tina:0) said...

Yes, its very difficult. But you are doing an awesome job! Arianna is so lucky to have such a wonderful mommy & someone who is advocating for her! I know you've switched to a different place for lab draws, but is there yet another possibility? I can't imagine how frustrating this all is?!?! Know that you are all in my prayers, that they finally get their heads out of the sand & get things done right!

On a good note, glad that your Nana is doing better! What an awesome drug TPA is when its able to be used! Hope you all have a good weekend, & HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

Big hugs!
Tina:0)

Amyacl said...

What a lot you have had to deal with all at the same time! I hope your Nana continues to improve, and I hope you always remember how very lucky Arianna is to have you as her tireless advocate and devoted, loving mom.

Samantha said...

First with the good...I was so proud of all that Arianna is doing for you with her speech etc..she is such a strong little girl who has a very loving and caring mommy! I am also very happy that your nana is doing well...what a scare and more stress for you.

Now...MOVE TO DALLAS!!!! I have terrific doctors here that I will share with you ;) I do not have an immunologist, but I will find one for ya! I am so sorry that this is going all crazy for you guys and I just hope that these doctors and labs get their you know what together and work for your sweet princess and actually pay attention to what is going on.

Hang in there my friend...call me if you need anything...even if you just want to vent!

Lots of love!
Samantha

Haileyzmom said...

Vanessa,
Now I have to think that there was some blessing in the fact that you double checked that report prior to the MMR vaccination. Miracles can happen in small doses. Be thankful something told you to do this!
Keep up your vigilance and advocacy. Getting pissed can be helpful in a sense that you are human and need to get those emotions out. "BEEN THERE!"

Hugs,
Penny

Kathy said...

Oh Vanessa...
You really would love our immunologist. Hey...have you thought about taking Arianna to CHOP (children's hospital in philadelphia) to the DiGeorge clinic...they keep you for a week and do a complete work up...maybe we could go together!!
Our immunologist has about 25 DiGeorge kids he sees...he's nice...but, CHOP is the place to get the answers...let's research it!
(I get Isaac's immunology labs back in 2 weeks..then I'll be freaking out like you are!)
you know...maybe you should go to school to draw blood...then, you could get all her blood and take it yourself to labs!
Take care...and don't let the stinky docs ruin your weekend.
I know it's scary to take her anywhere...but, just do it slowly. Still sanitize hands, anything she touches...and she should be fine. baby steps.
Lots of love,
Kathy