Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Appointment with the pediatrician

Today was Arianna's 18 month well-child check up with the pediatrician. It's almost funny calling it a well-child appointment. The pediatrician came into the room and looked at me and asked, "How are you doing?" I thought about it for a second and responded.... "Tired."I am finding myself so emotionally tired lately. Alot of it comes from taking care of child that has a disability but there are other areas of my life that I'm struggling with right now. I wish I could be that perfect girlfriend, mother, friend, etc....but I can't. So when the doctor looked at me and heard my answer she did something that really brightened my day. She said, "Okay...well Arianna is here for a well-child appointment so lets talk about all the normal stuff first." I can't tell you how great that felt. For just a brief moment I got to see what it would be like if I had a normal healthy child. Of course I laughed my way through the questions cause I could of added so much more, which would get into all the medical issues, but instead I chose to give myself a moment of sanity and treat Arianna as if she was normal. Then moments later one of the questions lead into the immunology side of Arianna's care and from there my 'normal' went out the window.

So to sum things up from the appointment. We have decided to try and schedule the consult with the immunologist and our pediatrician some time in July. The pediatrician has to make this appointment so she will let me know when that will be. I'm just so happy she is willing to go with me and help me understand all this a little better. She then told me they were unable to get the MMR shots individually and if I wanted Arianna to get her measles shot she would have to go to the public health department. She highly, in fact out right told me, not to take Arianna there....so we are NOT getting the measles shot until after we talk to the immunologist in July. Arianna was suppose to get her chickenpox vaccine today but since that is a live vaccine as well the pediatrician did not want to give that to her. It just amazes me that she feels so strongly against it when the immunologist said it was okay. I'm just following my gut instinct and something tells me she should have the live vaccines yet....and thankfully our pediatrician agrees. She doesn't feel comfortable putting Arianna at that kind of risk giving her the measles vaccine but stressed to me how catastrophic it would be if she contacted the measles virus. So, in the meantime, she says to keep doing what we've been doing and only taking her to the selective places we feel are okay. She did get her Hep A shot today and did very well.

One thing I brought up to her was something I noticed with her legs several months ago and noticed it again the other night. Arianna's seems to have bowed legs. I asked the pediatrician today and she said Arianna has mild tibial torsion. This is nothing to be concerned about, most children grow out of this, but it makes sense why Arianna walks with such a wide gait. We are seeing the orthopedic doctor in August so I'll talk to him about it then and see if anything needs to be done. We had seen the orthpedic before switching to our new pediatrician so she asked what our followup in August was for and I explained the 1 % scoliosis that was diagnosed. She asked to look at Arianna back and before she did that, I told her I strongly feel the curve has gotten worse. This is something I noticed about a month after our appointment with the orthopedic doctor. As soon as she lifted up Arianna's shirt she said, "Oh yeah, there is definintly a curve doing on. She said not only does she have a "S" curve but also a "back and forth" curve. I thought there was something funny about that because you can see her spine at one point, then the farther up her back you go it gets flat and you can't see the vertebra. So I am now worried about the scoliosis progressing and what the doctor will say when we visit in August. The whole...wait and see stage...which I hate. One thing the orthopedic doctor mentioned at our initial appointment was if the curve had worsened she might need surgery. So once again I'm a little worried but feel better after talking to the pediatrician today. I told her what the orthopedic doc said about surgery and she said we will definintly get a second opinion if that is what happens. I really love this doctor! The pediatrician did say it possible that Arianna would need a back brace when she starts puberty because females have a rapid growth curve when they hit puberty. I know, I know...don't think that far ahead but that is what she said.

So for now I'm just waiting for the immunology appointment and will drive myself nuts trying to figure it out on my own in the meantime.

Thanks for checking up on my baby girl. I have some really cute pictures but for some reason my camera won't download my pictures anymore. UGH!!! So I'll have to work on that....

11 comments:

The Portas said...

I hope you get the camera figured out...I need pics! :)

I'm so glad you have such a good, caring pediatrician. That makes all the difference in the world.

Try not to think too much about the little things. Just take it one thing and one doctor's visit at a time. You're such an amazing mama!

Take care! xoxoxo

Amyacl said...

Wow - it sounds like you have really found a great, caring, and proactive pediatrician. I'm so glad you're getting her support and encouragement as you continue to do an amazing job of keeping on top of everything. Arianna is so lucky to have you for her mom.

Hollie said...

Having a good pediatrician makes such a difference! I guess that's why I get so frustrated at the hospital, I'm spoiled by my "real" doctor. :) Thank you SO much for all your prayers and the love you send in our direction. I'm sending just as much back to you! Your journey has been so difficult, yet you've met the challenges with grace and courage. You are a strong mom and a wonderful example to me.
Love and hugs,
Hollie

Jane said...

Hi! Not sure if I've posted before but our daughters have the same birthdays and both have 22q and the same heart defect (roughly).

My daughter wears orthotics because of some pronation and torsion. It's really helped her get walking. I guess sometimes the way the bones in their heels form throws off the alignment of their whole leg!

I've been wanting to connect with you for sometime Vanessa. Arianna is just beautiful and always seems so full of energy and life.

I'm checking in and thinking about you and yours...

Jane, Ramona's mom
www.RamonaMae.com

mina said...

Hi Vanessa! There's always going to be a lot of medical stuff to assimilate, but sounds like you are in sync with Arianna's pediatrician, and that's awesome. You're doing a great job with her! I'll be checking in for pics!

Tina:0) said...

What?!?! No pics? I don't know if I can go on - LOL! What a wonderful pediatrician you have! Its not too often in this day & age that you find a doc that is so vested in caring for their patients!

Good for you & going with your gut instinct. It never fails to follow your instincts!

The torsion shouldn't be to big of a deal, especially since you're aware of it so soon on. Jane hit the nail on the head about the alignment. Its like a house - if the foundation (feet) is off, the rest of the structure (legs, back) isn't going to be as sturdy as it could be!

Keep doing such a great job for your little girl! You're such a great example of how a momma should be!

Please give that little girl a big hug from us here in Ohio!

Kathy said...

oh Vanessa..

I found your cell number...I'll call you tomorrow (I think our babies are going to drive us CRAZY!

Kiss Arianna for us!!!
and give yourself a hug for me!
Kathy

Samantha said...

I also want pictures...get it figured out for all the Arianna fans ;)

I am glad that you got to experience (for a bit) a "normal" well visit. It is great that your doctor was so kind...you know that I am a huge believer in a great pediatrician!

I know it is stressful, but remember that your little princess is doing so well...she is a true fighter!

Oh...Micah also walks horribly bow-legged...we have been told that he will most likely grow out of it, but if not, it is no biggie :) It is so cute when they are little ;)

Love ya!
Samantha

Tracy said...

Glad to hear you have such a caring pediatrician . It makes life so much easier . As for the curve no need to worry unless it goes past 35% . Maggie has a slight curve , nothing to sing about . But our ortho ( a very good one ) told us they don't do anything unless it reaches past 35% .
www.caringbridge.org/visit/margaretreed1

jencooper said...

I am so happy that you love your doctor! That is so important.

Hang in there with her back. My husband had scoliosis and actually had to have the surgery. He has great posture now.:) (Hey - got to look at the bright side!!)

I can't wait to see the new pics of the little princess!!

<3,
Jennifer

Samantha said...

ARIANNA WITHDRAWAL!!! Just checking on you guys!

Love ya!
Samantah