Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cardiolgy and peds appointment

The cardiology appointment went well. We reviewed everything that's happed over the past few weeks and he reassured me that her low saturations had nothing to do with her heart. He didn't feel we needed an echo since once was done at the hospital. Then after listening to her heart and lungs we were told to come back in 2 months. I was really bummed that they didn't do an echo but I guess I need to learn how to relax and enjoy the fact that her heart really is okay.

Then we went upstairs and met with our new pediatrician. Arianna's fever has stayed away but the rash has gotten worse and spread to her arms and legs. After the doc took one look at her she confirmed this is roseola and told us there is nothing we can do and it should go away in a few days. Who knows how she got it but once you have it you can't get it again.

We had a resident who was doing all the leg work for the doc and told us we were okay to leave. I told him I was here for a consult, not just a sick child visit. The new doc came in and I told her I wanted to start seeing her on a regular basis and she said that was fine. I proceeded to explain how I was previously treated and did not want the same treatment. I told her I need a pediatrician who will listen to me and not push my concerns aside. I went on to tell her about our previous hospital stay and the frustrations with not knowing what had caused Arianna's low sats and respiratory distress and she seemed to understand. I told her we still haven't seen the pulmonologist and there has been no one following up on this. She was very understanding and told me she was going to email both the pulmonologist we saw in the hospital and the one we're scheduled to see and find out what they think should be done next. I told her I needed to feel comfortable with our pediatrician and know that I can call with any questions without getting the brush off. Even though our time was cut short I fell like she really wants to help and be an active role in Arianna's care. She said she will read through Arianna's chart about the recent hospital stay and get up to speed with what has been going on. Finally...I think we got the right pediatrician. This is going on number 3.

They wanted to give Arianna 2 shots but I told them no because she always gets a fever for 48 hours and since she is already fighting off a virus I felt it was best to hold off. We will go in at 18 months for another check and she can get her shots then.

Tomorrow is our appointment with GI, which I'm sure won't be much of anything. Our OT is planning on being there which is something she likes to do with her clients. (She's a doll!) I know he'll tell me she is small and he would like to see her grow but we're already doing what we can to get her to eat. I'm content with her being small as long as she isn't losing weight.

For some reason I am extremly exhausted and could really use a nap but Arianna is full of energy without any signs of slowing down. She is outside with Daddy right now which is the only way I could get a chance to update. I hear her crying so I better go get her....

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Hi there! I am so glad that you have found a pediatrician you are comfortable with. I swear by our pediatrician and have told my husband that I will not move anywhere unless our pedi moves somewhere, and then we will follow him! He is the best and never thinks I am too crazy...I think he may worry about things even more than me :)

Glad you had a good cardiology appt! Way to go. I know how that goes when they don't do an echo...it freaks us mommies out...I always want an echo done...always.

Remind me of Arianna's weight? Micah is 19 months and teetering at 19 lbs. He is not even 30 inches yet. Our problem is that he gains and then looses a lot and then stops and then looses and then gains. He drives me nutty. I know that we are close to a g-button, but that freaks me out...just when we think we are going to go that route, he eats...ugh!

Well, I hope the appt goes well tomorrow and that all stays good in your world.

Hugs,
Samantha