Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Meeting Surgeon Tomorrow

You would think the second time around you'd be a pro by now. But your not. Your child is not a 5-month old baby but a 5-year old will questions, concerns and fear.

Tonight when I got home from school after Devin fell asleep she wanted to have a snack. So we go in the kitchen and she sits at the table with a very serious look on her face. She says, "Mom, tomorrow I have to see Dr. Teodori." "Yes." I said.

So we sit down and we begin to talk. She tells me she is nervous to go. So right there I stop and pray with her. Then I told her its okay to be scared. I reminded her how this surgery will help her feel better and have more energy. So she begins to tell me how she went to the little park in the neighborhood but got too tired when she was there. I told her how this surgery will help her not get tired so quicly and of course that made her feel better. I reminded her tomorrow was just to talk to the surgeon to discuss the surgery and nothing more. I asked her if she was ready to write down her questions she had for him and she said yes. I feel this would help her process and get those things off her chest so she could sleep knowing we have our questions ready to go.

The perfect book for all our questions and info we need during surgery.

Arianna's questions for Dr. Teodori

 I thought it would be a good idea to color the picture from Matty's Heart about Matty and his parents visiting the heart surgeon to talk about surgery. I think it helped her understand tomorrow is just about talking. She said the mom in the picture looks like she is crying. I explained that she is worried too. That its just because she loves him and wants to do what is best for him.  She really is processing this all and I'm so thankful for these resources available to us.

 All done with her picture!
 My heart is heavy tonight but I think that is normal for any heart mom. We would trade places with our kids if we could. I'm just trying to do the best I can for her during this difficult time. She is expressing alot of feelings to me tonight before bed. I laid hands on her and prayed over her. I'm asking for supernatural peace to come upon her and my entire family at this time. Right now we have to take things one hour at a time. We are so thankful for all the love & support we are receiving from family, friends and the CHD community!

No comments: