Saturday, October 20, 2012

Post-op Day 1

Arianna started waking up in pain and I wanted to help distract her while we waited for her meds to kick in. So I hung her beads of courage beads up. She normally puts them on the IV pole and even though it was full I managed to string it up without messing things up and Arianna just stared at her beads. This program gives a bead for each procedure, surgery, etc that a child goes through. Arianna has received many beads already and has more to add when she finally is awake and past this horrible yucky phase.
It's amazing when you put everything in God's hands. All you have to do is literally take it one step at a time and he will provide you with everything/everyone you need. Well in this case it was our amazing nurse Dianne! Words cannot express the love and care she gave my daughter and my family today. I was so scared for today and the second I saw Dianne I felt a peace come over me. I've known Dianne since Arianna's first surgery.

The first step today was to sit Arianna up. Just to give her a chance to see what it felt like and prepare her to actually get UP later. As you can imagine if you just had your chest cut open it would hurt a heck of alot! Dianne was amazing with her pain management and keeping on top of her meds. Arianna was incredibly brave and did every single thing Dianne asked of her. Through the pain and the fear...she make a HUGE step in her recovery today!
wayou

After Dr. Teodori checked her out he gave orders to start pulling some wires and turning off some meds! We started by giving Arianna versed and morphine to keep her calm during this entire time. Obvious, I will always remember it but thankfully she will not.
Taking a little break before removing the last few things. So in total she had removed her sensor on the forehead, which measures the blood perfusion to the brain, her arterial line and foley catheter. Which means she has to now get up to use the potty. 
Despite being so scared and having medicine Arianna once again showed me how incredibly strong she is. She got out of bed, stood on her own two feet and walked a few steps!!!
I'm way to tired to load this the right way but you can watch as my girl takes her first steps after open-heart surgery! As heart breaking as this is I am so glad we got this to see how far she is progressing hour by hour.
She was telling us she wanted to ride in the wagon. Who are we to limit what she can do. We got it prepped and my girl was able to take a ride around the floor! This really really tired her out so she rested in her wagon afterwards.
Of all people she was crying for today was her brother, Devin. So that is exactly what she got!
There became a question of a collapsed lung this morning on x-ray. We did not allow this to shake us and get worried. Instead we stood together, as a family, and when my Dad arrived we laid hands on her. Within a minute her breathes were deeper and got better. The doctors came back saying its a gas bubble and NOT collapsed lung. Praise God!!!!
After a much needed nap she had to get back up and this time Mommy got to hold her for about 30 minutes!!!

Look on her face says it all...its been hard and rough but she is doing what needs to be done. So proud!!!

By the end of shift change our girl was completely wiped out and got to finally relax for a couple of hours.


Well here it is 12:35am on Saturday and Arianna just got up out of bed to use the potty WITHOUT taking pain meds before. Yes, it hurt but she is starting to use her hands more to get up and wanting to hold her upper body up.

Then we get her back in bed and she wanted to take off the extra EKG leads the OR left on. I started to take them off in the areas that were difficult then she said she felt some on her leg. These are the extremely sticky ones..well she went ahead and pulled it off herself!!! The nurse was pretty shocked and I just praised the Lord because the entire time she crys when she gets up I thank Him for the strength she needs.

We are believing to get a good report tomorrow and get those chest tubes out hopefully. Alot of work on her part to do with walking so prayers still needed and appreciatted. Thank you so much for checking in on us. If you want leave a message and when she feels better I'll read them to her! :)

3 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

Dear Ari,
Pastor James and I are praying for you every day!
We are so proud of you and we know you are being very brave and that Jesus is helping you to get better.

We love you and will see you very soon!

Love Always,
Kathy (Mimi)

Nancy Jensen said...

Dear Sweet Arianna,I am so glad that I got to go and meet you at your house. I'm so glad that you like your silly socks. I want to tell you that you are soooo brave! I am so proud of you! I miss you and will come to visit you in the hospital in a couple of days.

Love you!
Nancy

Nancy Jensen said...

And for Vanessa,
Your photos and writings bring back so many memories of my time helping Jessica recover from her heart surgeries. You are doing a wonderful job - but I want to caution you to pleeeeeeeeeeeease get some rest. Your body will shut down on you if you don't. (how do you think I got fibromyalgia?) :-/

I hope and pray that each day is better for Arianna and that she is able to heal quickly. I also hope and pray that you are able to get some rest so that you will have the health and strength that you need to care for her.

Sending you love, hugs and butterflies until I see you in a day or so.
Nancy