Tuesday, October 2, 2012

School Assignment = Therapy Session

Today one of Arianna's language arts assignment was about learning what different professions were. We talked about doctors, nurses, librarian, mechanics, teachers, etc. Then I asked her to pick one of those professions and draw a picture of them doing what they do. She choose a nurse and this was her drawing.


 
I really wasn't sure where she would go with this one. She is learning to draw with greater detail and I know she has had way too much exposer to nurses so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I found this to almost be a very therapeutic exercise for her. I know its may be hard for others to understand this pic so I put some labels on there.
 
 
NurseAssignment
 
So you can see Arianna is on a hospital bed with 2 nurses next to her. One is a boy and one is a girl.
 
On her right side you have Mom, Dad, Devin, Cyrus, Kyoni & Auberly. She got so tickled to draw a little baby for her niece Auberly. She is in love with her already, just as we are! She just wishes she could be a little bigger so she could hold her. Kind of hard to hold an almost 1 year old. :-)
 
She has the window next to her bed with a storm going on outside. You can see the lightening all over. Then after awhile a rainbow shines through!
 
Oh and cant forget the sidewalk outside in front of the hospital. She loves to look out the window when she is in the hospital and watch everyone walk by. One time she was lucky enough to get a window by the helicotper pad..that was pretty cool for her Dad even though he's more an airplane man. LOL!
 
I just loved how I was able to get a peak inside how she perceives things in the hospital. Obviously it will be very different after heart surgery but it's good for her to do activities like this.
 
She is asking when we will go to the clinic next. That is her consult with the surgeon on Wednesday. She can say his name now too! She has 2 very important questions she wants to ask him.
 
1) Can he please take the breathing tube out her mouth BEFORE she wakes up?
2) Can they NOT put an NG (feeding) tube in her nose?
 
I'm so proud of her and how she is handling this so far. I know the worst is yet to come but I love how open and honest we can be with her. I really feel it helps eleviate some of her anxiety. Please pray as we get ready for that consult. I know Dr. Teodori is one of the best but I know us parents need to hold it together for her and I dont want her to be scared listening to us talk about surgery.

No comments: